Space, the final frontier ... to boldly go where no Sylvanian has gone before!

 Lol!! Could not resist, heheheh.

 

My sister from another mother said to me a few times that I should create a space setting, because I am such a big Sci-Fi fan. I told her that there was no space exploration in the fifties, the era where JollyOaksField is situated, so despite that I wanted to, I wouldn't.

 

But then ... inspiration struck me! I was mesmerized as a child by watching the old Sci-Fi movies, like "Forbidden Planet" of 1956, one of my favorites even now this day. So, why not create ... a fifties sci-fi movie set? See how my idea was inspired by the original movie.

 


I needed a crater for a moon of a planet far away. The crater I found, is a real one of our Moon, from Nasa to download for free. 


I discarded the option to 3D print one for a while, but MS ruined the option to handle a setting constructed by hands, made from aluminum foil and Chinese food containers.  I 
attempted and had to give up. I reverted back to printing one. I used lightning infill, so it's really light weight as well, cost effective regarding use of filament and energy, but still sturdy for its purpose. This picture gives an idea how the infill creates support for a top surface of a cube to be printed, using as little as plastic as possible to fill the inside up. 


Since my current Sylvanian dioramas setup, on simple metal shelves, is not that straight, I had to do some photoshopping to remove the seems of each printed block placed next to each other. But they actually fit together perfectly.

 

I found a whole range of  fifties retro Sci-Fi STL files to print, on TinkerCad, Yeggi and Thangs. Only some print files received a bit of tweaking in TinkerCad, most just had to be resized only. For example, I found this cute alien,  hollowed out his head, cut it in pieces, so I would have an alien astronaut outfit, with moveable arms and head.


I discovered an adorable alien, and reshaped it's neutral head (on the right) to have 2 extra expressions, namely amazed and smiling too.

 

The Sylvanauts are wearing a fuzzy keychain outfit. The plush was yanked out and it fits like a charm.


I wanted to have a full rabbit crew, so I ordered 2 batches of  Koala Town / Forest Family rip-offs Sylvanians. As rip-offs go, chances are big that the quality is underwhelming. Most of them arrived seriously badly damaged, which happened during production. As I did not get a full refund for all the damaged ones, I decided to use the best ones with a fix, you will get it when you will see them. They inspired me to add a bit to the storyline in the vid. This way, not all of it was wasted.


Hub kept nagging for months when I would finish it, so he could see it, lol. He even tried to peek over my shoulder more than once when I was editing pics and the vid, so I had to shoo him away, hahahah! This was an easy project, yet I adore this one a lot!

 

Yes, by now, you know I could not resist to make a small intriguing vid to entertain all of you


I found great retro sounds. One even was perfect for a hint to the movie which inspired me. All names of my Sylv crew are a hint and homage to "Forbidden Planet" too. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/


The director's name is a hint to the creator of some of the worst Sci-Fi movies ever, namely the renowned Ed Wood. He was a master of tacky Sci-Fi movies as well, using props which swung on very visible cords. This was many years before CGI.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8mrktk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet


Of course, in good fifties tradition, I left the cables on the objects which are hanging, and deliberately did not photoshop them, lol. Enjoy ... or should I say "Engage!"?

Comments

  1. What fun! Great work. Inventive and clever model creations. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Angelina Ballerina Sylvanians: origins.

Community Centre 3D printed: Part 4/4.

Asian Sylvanians and 3D prints.